Monday, August 1, 2016

Building a Classroom Community ~ Week One


 
  Building relationships within a classroom is essential in creating a positive learning environment. We focus on our classroom community for the first two weeks of school and then branch out into learning about our community where we live and citizenship. I have put together a list of my favorite books that I use as well as the FREE resources I have found while planning my lessons!

The first book I use is The Kissing Hand.

                                                                   

After reading the book we complete this activity and the students take it home the first day.


The poem I use can be found here.  You can find my "First Day Portrait/ Handprint" activity we do the first day to place in our memory books here.

I use the free template from Wild About Firsties to create these headbands.







On day two we talk about kindness and being dippers or fillers with Have You Filled a Bucket Today?


The Learning Station has a great song that goes with this lesson.


You can find the free printable for creating this chart at Scholastic.


We create this craft and students write how they will be a bucket filler. You can find the free writing paper here from Teacher Bits and Bobs.



On day three we talk about school rules with David Goes to School.


We create a chart similar to this one.



Angie has a great FREE David craft and writing activity here.


Kara has some great activities for teaching about being peacemakers or peace breakers here.



We always have difficulty with lunch room manners so on day four we learn all about how to behave in the lunch room!

 
Kindergarten, Kindergarten has a great cafeteria expectations craft you can download for free here.

I purchased a book from Class of Kinders that I print as a mini book for students to color and take home to read with their parents. You can purchase it here.

On day five we learn about how to make friends and how to be a friend.



We discuss how to be a friend and respecting one another. This year we are going to try this fun art activity to create a friendship mural.


You can read about how Simplicity for Learning uses this activity here.

Stop back by on Wednesday to read part two and find five more free activities to use while building relationships in your classroom!




2 comments:

  1. Love your ideas for building community! I've used many myself. My favorite was The Kissing Hand, which I would read to my kindergarten parents at Meet the Teacher day before school even started. Then the first morning, it was always so sweet to see the different children and parents use the Kissing Hand when having to say goodbye as we started our day! Made for a much easier transition for everyone too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Kissing Hand has always been my favorite too! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete